Leatherwood Baptist Church was organized in 1926 with seven members. Services were held in a blacksmith shop and McQueen’s store. The first baptizing, adding 13 members, we held in 1927. There have been four major construction projects as we have grown from the 1940’s to present:
- In the 1940’s there was a ground breaking for an auditorium and Sunday school rooms.
- In the 1970’s an Educational building, fellowship hall and new auditorium were added.
- In 1990 the church was destroyed by a fire but the congregation returned to Leatherwood for Easter Sunday, March 31st, 1991 in the Christian Life Center.
- From 2000 to present the current Worship Center, the Youth/Student Ministry building and a Banquet room have been added. Our Children’s wing was renovated into a 6400 square foot area with classrooms and the “Treehouse Room” for children’s worship.
Leatherwood recently celebrated it’s 90th Anniversary and we are excited about the new members that have been added to our Leather-wood family on a regular basis.